How to View the Full Version of Sites in Opera Mini
Opera Mini users get very frustrated when they are redirected to a mobile site that lacks the features they are used to on their PCs.
Well like not your heart be troubled. It’s also possible to force the full-web versions of some sites in Opera Mini by using a special URL (Uniform Resource Locator). Below are the lists of some websites I have compiled.
Facebook: You can use the full Facebook site in Opera mini or Mobile by entering the URL http://www.facebook.com/home.php?m2w
Orkut: Has a link to the full version at the bottom of most mobile pages. Or you can go directly to www.orkut.com (the www. is required to force the full web version).
The gotcha is that you have to use Opera Mini’s “Desktop View” to see the full version of Orkut, there is an Opera Mini bug that renders Orkut as a blank page in “Mobile View”.
The Yahoo homepage: yahoo.com/?m=1
CNN: edition.cnn.com Note: this will give you the International Edition of CNN. I haven’t found a way to view the full CNN US Edition with Opera Mini.
Newsweek: www.newsweek.com/ id/38204
Google News: news.google.com/nwshp?hl=en&tab=wn
Yahoo Mail: is a special case. mail.yahoo.com loads the full version of Yahoo Mail but only if you haven’t upgraded to the “New” version of Yahoo Mail . Switching to the new mail seems to set a flag that forces the display of the mobile version of mail in Opera Mini. You must switch back to Classic Yahoo mail in order to restore mobile access. There doesn’t seem to be anyway to switch back using Opera Mini, you have to find a PC to do it.
1. Go into Yahoo Mail with a PC browser. Click the “Mail Classic” link at the top of the page and switch to Classic Mail.
2. Launch Opera Mini and go to http://mail.yahoo.com and you should be in Mail Classic.
3. The key thing is that you must switch your account to use Mail Classic. You need to use a PC browser to make that switch. There doesn’t seem to be any way to use the “New” Yahoo Mail on your PC and the Classic version on your phone.
Wall Street Journal: online.wsj.com/home- page
Hall of Shame: There are a few sites that stubbornly refuse to let Opera Mini users view their full web version.
Microsoft: Is the worst offender. Just about all Microsoft sites including Hotmail force Opera Mini users to a mobile version with no known workaround.
Friendster: has a full site link but it’s especially well hidden. To find it:
1. Go to www.friendster.com or friendster.com on your phone. The mobile version will load.
2. Click on the “Help” link near the bottom of the page.
3. Scroll down to near the bottom of the Help page and click the “Classic Version” link. 4. Or you can just bookmark: www.friendster.com/switchsite.php? site=www&t=1
MySpace: There used to be a full site link on Mobile MySpace’s log in page but it disappeared in the MySpace Mobile redesign this week. Now you have to use this URL to get to the full version: www.myspace.com/? useclassicmyspace=true Other sites where you have to use a special URL to force the fill-version include:
If you discover other sites that are blocking Opera mini from their full-web versions or you find additional workarounds please leave a comment. Thanks